Director of Student's Welfare
Life on Campus
Anti Ragging Squad
Task Force to monitor Womenís safety & Security issues
ਪਸ਼ੂ ਪਾਲਕਾਂ ਲਈ ਸਹੂਲਤਾਂ
Broad Areas of Operation
You are currently here: Home
/ Extension Education / Broad Areas of Operation
- Transfer of technologies to the livestock farmers and their feed back for reorienting the on going research programmes.
The new technologies developed in different areas of Veterinary, Animal Sciences, Poultry & Fisheries are effectively communicated to the livestock farmers who are the ultimate beneficiaries of such technologies. The extension services also help in identifying the researchable problems faced by the livestock farmers and provide new research issues to the scientists.
- Field testing of the technologies, germplasm and other inputs related to animal farming.
The technologies developed by the scientists relating to feeding, management, health, value addition of livestock products, etc. as well as superior stocks of animals developed and tested at the experimental stations and breeding farms of the university and regional research stations are evolved in a systematic way, by conducting field trials over a wide spectrum in different agro-climatic zones with proper technical collaboration of research scientists with extension field functionaries. Further, data recording system, is also done to assess the impact of the improved technologies at the farmers’ level and also to work out the net economic benefits to the farmers from the use of such improved technologies.
- Organizing the Pashu Palan Melas twice a year :
Directorate is organizing Pashu Palan Melas during the months of March and September at its Ludhiana campus and apart from this, directorate is also holding pashu palan melas at its regional centers at Kaljharani and Talwara. Directorate also regularly participates in the Kisan Melas being organized by PAU at its four regional stations in different parts of Punjab.
- Organizing the training programmes and workshops for the officers of the State Animal Husbandry, Dairy Development and Fisheries departments, Directorates, Dairy co-operative Federation, banking and other development departments/agencies related with animal welfare.
It is the mandate of the state development departments to provide extension services at the grass root level by deploying extension personnel at sub-division, block and village level, however the directorate have provided the Subject Matter Specialists at the district level for the training of the field functionaries and also for the technical guidance to the livestock farmers.
- Short term and long term training programmes and field camps in different areas of animal farming system.
- Organizing the Animal Husbandry Farmers Meeting biannually or annually.
- The extension services in Veterinary and Animal Sciences provides a platform for the better organization of the livestock farmers could be organized into more functional and action oriented groups. These groups can help the fellow farmers in better and quick access to essential production resources like technical knowledge and inputs, information on government sponsored development programmes, credit facilities and marketing infrastructure.
The extension services in the University have provided a platform for the establishment of different categories of Farmers’ Associations with necessary technical support of the University and following associations are operational:
- Progressive Dairy Farmers Association: Members of this association meet on 2nd Thursday of every month.
- Fish Farmers Association: Members of this association meet on 3rd Thursday of every month.
- Pig Farmers Association: Members of this association meet on 4th Thursday of every month.
The extension services in the University will also provide a platform for establishing the different Animal Breeders Associations with technical support of the University:
- Dairy Cattle Breeders Association
- Buffalo Breeders Association
- Sheep and Goat Breeders Association
- Poultry Breeders Association
- Equine Breeders Association
- Dog Breeders Association
- Wildlife Association
These organizations will develop and implement the programmes for the improvement and conservation of livestock to improve the economy of different livestock farming systems by adopting the latest technologies. Each of these organizations will have a technical coordinator, who is the subject matter expert of the University and will develop its constitution and plan of work for implementation with the approval of the Vice-Chancellor. The Breed associations established in the state of Punjab can collaborate with sister associations in other states having similar breed improvement programmes of different species and can also exchange the germplasm for extensive testing and evaluation in order to increase reliability and the genetic progress and to test the improved germplasm of different species in different regions of the country.
- To organize Animal Welfare Camps/field days with the participation of the farmers, experts from the University, livestock related industries like; pharmaceuticals, feeds, equipments, value added animal products, germplasm etc; livestock development and financial organizations mainly banks.
Sign up for Newsletter
Sign up if you wish to receive updates from us
Your Email ID